Wednesday, November 18, 2009

November Service

This past Sunday we hosted our second preview service at the Bella Vista Boys and Girls Club. It was a great day of fellowship, worship, and teaching. Here are a few random thoughts that went through my head that morning:
  1. It's weird/ridiculous how easy it is for Satan to cause doubt in our life. Here we are in the middle of planting a church, moving across the country, quitting our jobs, totally trusting God to do a miracle and yet for brief moments I get these ideas that this whole thing is stupid. On Sunday as I was pulling into the BG Club it hit me for the first time how stupid this whole thing is if you look at it from purely a logical, human perspective. And yet, I know those thoughts are not from God. Man we are fragile. We are like little kids who need constant reassurance from their parents.
  2. During our preview services we are working our way through our vision statement: Leading people to experience a new life in Christ. It is the statement that summarizes what our launch team is all about. So far we have studied two passages in Mark where Jesus called the first 4 disciples and then called Matthew as well. In the first account Jesus tells Peter, Andrew, James, and John that he is going to make them into fishers of men. Think for a moment how crazy that sounds. And yet, that was (and is) Jesus' main agenda...To produce followers who fish. Or in today's context...to produce followers who lead other people to Christ.
  3. One final random thought from Sunday. God is putting together an incredible launch team for Northwest Community Church. I find myself wishing I could hang out with these people every day of the week. I feel like hidden talents are really starting to come out of the background as people step up to solve problems and make good things happen.
God is good so we are trusting him every step of the way.

1 comment:

  1. Quit our jobs? Move half way across the country? Plant a church? That does sound ridiculous. But you know what? It also sounds familiar: "Come, follow me and I will show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass." What?! Drop our nets, with which we make our living, and seek a life of people fishing? That does sound ridiculous. But I'd say ol' J.C. knew what he was talking about, since that agenda resonates to this very day.

    Great message Sunday. I can't wait for our next service and to continue to look deeper into our vision statement.

    ReplyDelete