Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Religion vs. Relationship

This past Sunday we wrapped up our CLEAN series by studying Isaiah 1:10 - 18 as we discovered God's perspective on religion and relationships. In this passage God reminds Israel (and all of humanity) that He designed human beings for a personal relationship with Him.  God clearly states His total disgust for religious ceremonies, rituals, sacrifices, and offerings designed to make us "clean" by our own efforts. Remember we are made clean by God through the power and resurrection of Jesus Christ.      


So why is it that we often find ourselves reducing our walk with God into a religion? Here are some phrases that indicate a person or a church is headed towards religion:
  • I HAVE to go to church. 
  • When I go to church I sit, listen, and watch. 
  • When the leadership of a church says “The church is an organization we must manage and control.” 
  • If I do X then God owes me Y. 
  • The church is a business, programs are the products, and I am the consumer.
What does God have to say about religion? He hates religion. 

On the contrary, Here are some phrases that indicate a person or church is walking in a personal relationship with God: 
  • I GET to go to church. 
  • We gather at church to worship, serve, encourage, pray, and grow together. 
  • When the leadership of the church says “The church is the body of Christ where everyone is valued and needed.” 
  • I will obey the Lord and trust Him no matter what circumstances I face. 
  • The church is the bride of Christ and I will contribute to her health, mission, uniqueness, beauty, and growth. 
What does God have to say about those who follow Him through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ? I will bless you. 

Today choose to never settle for a religion. Instead pursue a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and remember we are made clean by God and for God.

No comments:

Post a Comment