Monday, March 31, 2014

Pacing Lessons Learned at Prairie Spirit 100

Typically this blog focuses on the life of Northwest Community Church. Occasionally, however, I enjoy posting about cool experiences I have had which further fuel my desire to lead and teach.  I cannot fully explain it but for some strange reason endurance events have a way of recharging my batteries and inspiring other ares of my life. Somehow getting exhausted actually allows me to enjoy life and leadership even more.    

This past weekend I had the opportunity to crew and pace my good friend Chris Cantwell in the Prairie Spirit 100 mile run. This was his first 100 mile race and he performed beautifully. Below is a description of pacing lessons I learned during the run.  Janet paced Chris from miles 50 to 75 and I paced him from 75 to 100 between 11pm to 6am.

Think of your runner as a rubber band. 
Your job as a pacer is to get the absolute best out of your runner. To push them past their perceived limits and get them from point A to point B as fast as possible. Monitor the pace at all times. Walk when necessary and stay just a few steps ahead of your runner. Keep in mind that another key objective of a pacer is to keep your runner alive. Dead runners do not move very fast. The rubber band needs to be stretched but not broken.

Inward compassion. Outward toughness. 
You need to have a certain level of compassion for the runner you are pacing. When your runner is struggling and going through high levels of pain you should hurt with them…but only inwardly. Do not show your runner any pity or a sense of "I feel sorry of you." A sense of pity could cause your runner to go into a downward spiral and open the door for thoughts of quitting. Anyone attempting to run a 100 miles knows how to suffer. Be a good listener to your runner's words, body language, and physical condition but maintain a focused, outward toughness committed to relentless forward progress.

Agree with everything your runner says (except for "I want to quit").
The go-to sentence of a pacer should be "Yes, but let's keep moving this way." Your runner needs to know you are hearing and affirming them…even if it is a false sense of affirmation. Keep things positive and offer a steady stream of encouragement. Some examples include the following conversations which can often occur in the later stages of a 100 mile run.

Runner: "I think I need to throw up."
Pacer: "Yes, but let's keep moving this way."

Runner: "I am so cold."
Pacer: "Yes, but let's keep moving this way. I will get you a dry, warm shirt at the next aid station."

Runner: "My quads feel like they are going to explode."
Pacer: "Yes, but let's keep moving this way."

Runner: "I can't eat anything."
Pacer: "Yes, but let's keep moving this way. And how about just putting this potato in your mouth, chew it up, and see what happens."

Runner: "I do not think we are going to make it in under 24 hours."
Pacer: "Yes, but let's keep moving this way."

Runner: Moaning filled with shallow breathing and dry-heaving
Pacer: "Yes, but let's keep moving this way."  

At the start of the race Chris had three goals in his first 100 mile run:
  1. Finish the race
  2. Finish the race without crying
  3. Finish the race sub 24 hours
Chris accomplished all 3 in an impressive finishing time of 23 hours and 46 minutes.  The closing miles of the run were some of the most inspiring moments I have ever experienced as a runner as we clipped along at a 12:20 pace at 5:30am in the morning. Congratulations Christ Cantwell!  

Finish Line Photo at Prairie Spirit 100


        

No comments:

Post a Comment